Monday, August 6, 2007

Interview panick

The first week of August was meant to be my happiest.

Here I was I finally got this long awaited call for an interview of my dream job. I have always wanted to volunteer and become a public information officer. So I received this CALL, prep'd myself for the interview, I was right and ready to face the panel. It did not matter what kind of people I was going to face (what difference did it make? We are all humane and human beings,right?) black, white, yellow I was READY. Not with the searching and homework on my CV. Like a girl Guide am always prepared and for this one I was indeed prepared. The job needed a sensible, flexible person with the skills to handle stress and large crowds.

Come D day, I was shaking, like Jerry in the corner trapped by Tom. I panicked and panicking is all I did. I thought maybe I should stick to the comfort of my current job. Well, d-time(interview time) I walked in, shoulders high, looking so serious like there was no denying me this job. Papers, certs and all, in one folder in my right hand, handbag on the shoulders.

Question time to talk about myself, I blundered, blundered, blundered.

Language skills? I was asked by one of the panelists.
I mentioned I did not know any of the languages in the area concerned but I understand a language of the neighbouring area and I am fluent in Swahili.
Weaknesses? Oh my should have heard me...won't embarass myself here but I blundered...mbu ".....prefer to be left alone to cool off when upset???" I didn't even mention how I am working round my weaknesses. I give up for my sakes. I honestly give up.

Anyways, I left satisfied that I had tried to impress both technically and physically but... knew from the people waiting to enter, there was at least one who struck me as the right candidate. The dude looked confident, no mistaking that he was from the required area, composed, knew what he wanted and looked like the job itself. What the heck? I still got called in for an interview. I now need to work on the panicking bit...


1 comment:

kissyfur said...

Firsties! You'll be fine Im sure.