Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Colour vs Monochrome Parties

I have tried my best to catch up with this craze that some Ugandan women have about dressing, 'vazzing' (I hope this is the right slang spelling) like it is commonly called, but I seem to come out dressed like to-whom-it-may-concern.

I am at this party seated of course in a comfortable corner where I can take a peak at all those who walk into the hall, while I go unnoticed. Then I notice the well dressed, half dressed like as if dressed for a pool party, the under dressed and those of course dressed in the whom-it-may-please style..

If you have not been to a Ugandan wedding/party then you won't understand what am trying so hard to pour out here. Women will even dress like they are going for a fancy dress ball party or the races - with hats n' all, in various shapes and sizes, some may look like a colourful Christmas tree, not that they care, while others will dress up in shades of one colour trying to blend it with style. But what is the money for.. to buy what you want to feel good in of course. What else surely do I really want? I have no beef with women and their sense of style but sometimes 'style' is not style unless defined style by the wearer.

Won't it be much easier to have rules on dressing when going to different functions, one journalist has tried to point it out to us in her column, in the local print. I now understand why white folks mention the dress code on the invitation cards. For instance, you will find that the dress code is an all white function, not white folks but white attire, or all black. This is slowly being adopted by our fellow Africans/Ugandans and needs adhering to.

If I were to redo my wedding or a party function, I will for instance request all the invitees to dress in Black and White....STRICTLY. Place hefty bouncers at the entrance to stop those who have not adhered to the dress code. Yes it's my function and thus can dictate what I want. It creates uniformity, uniqueness and hey what bride/host wants to be outsmarted at her own wedding/party? Of course it will take Ugandans quite sometime to organize such functions but what a relief from the ill fitting clothes or skimpy attires (fit for nighties) that we see. For a Christening, won't it be nice to see everyone in a white attire? Think about it.. why do we have everyone in a swimsuit when its a pool party? It looses meaning when one appears in a suit. Eeh what say yah, colour or monochrome party? Try it out it doesn't hurt.

No comments: