Friday, March 2, 2007

Telephone etiquette

"Tring ring ring!"
"Tring tring trinnnnnnng!"

"Am coming! Eeeh?!" I insist.

Sounds like the person on the end of the phone is desperate, by the continuous irritating hi pitches.

I rush to pick it up, it might be an emeregncy, I think.
So out of breath I answer:

"Hallo?" No answer.

"Hallo, Mama B here."

Still no bloody answer!...Cat caught your tongue, I almost ask but think twice about it. It might be a prospective employer. So I wait for the caller to answer.

I hear a murmur on the other side. Someone in the background insists that the caller must speak. So I try to make it easier and ask,

"Hallo, can I help you, please?" I insist.
The line goes dead.

What a waste!

Hardly, five minutes go by than the shrill ringing starts again.
I answer almost immediately....

"Hallo?" MB
"Haro" Caller answers.

Good, now we are getting somewhere..

"Yes please, can I help you?" I inquire

At last the caller finds his voice and and bellows:

"Haro? Haro? ono noha?"

"I beg your pardon? Who do you want to speak to? I ask impatiently.

"Ono noha?" Caller inquires.

"Who would you like to speak to?"

Murmurs again on the other side and the phone goes dead again. Shit!!! I start swearing to myself if that phone rings again I will not answer. But is it easy to ignore a ringing phone..tried it but failed miserably.

Like this is not my day...another ring.

"Halo?" I respond again
"Ono noha? nyenda Furanka..hati mugambire..."
"Sorry this is a wrong number and this is not Frank"I reply
Before I can even suggest to the caller to check the number he is calling the phone goes dead again.

Phone number can never be guessed. and it is bad to assume that the person on the other end understands the indigenous language of the caller. It is indeed less cumbersome time saving when we all communicate in English.

Some people just do not know how to communicate on phone..
Introduce yourself then get straight to he point.

I think a proper phone call of a wrong number would go like this......

"Hallo" answers Mama B
"Hallo, this is Joe here and I would like to speak to Frank,'' Caller
"Sorry Joe this is a wrong number you have called" Mama B.
"Thanks" Joe
Call Ends.. What do you think?

1 comment:

Baz said...

What you do is save the dude's number. Then when you are bored, be calling him and harassing him in the same way. Very gratifying. Lotsa fun.