Saturday, June 30, 2007

Halfway down the year

We are halfway down the year, I still have not yet gotten a job offer nor another call inviting me to a job interview. My job hunting campaign is now going to be more aggressive. This is how I will embark on it, come 01st July 2007.
  • Increase the number of applications I send out from once a month to four a month; one per week.
  • Do not wait for a post to be advertised. Just send my CV. One day they might just need me.
  • Call up the company ask them whether they are recruiting for their data base - for future use. Inform them that I would like them to include me in their database.
  • Join a club in Kampala like the Rotary club of my area, the Public Relations Association of Uganda, French club, Speakers' Association, Wanainchi tuwonane club and so on. As a job seeker you must be assoicated with a group or club or an association. It must be a credible group/club.
  • Attend conferences that are held in Kampala share my expertise and knowledge whenever possible or when the opportunity arise during recess pop the big question- are you looking for someone to do the job?
  • Grab at any opportunity that may arise about a vacancy somewhere. Check out my neighbour in the taxi or in church anywhere. People I come into contact with should be the starting point.
  • Check out my old phone books and call up my fellow school mates and campus mates, give them my CV and keep checking up on them. You never know, they can recommend to someone or they may one day be on an interview panel.
  • Of course, enrol for a course on Campus, if possible two at the same time: weekend classes at Nkumba then daily evening classes Makerere, if the brain permits a distance learning programme as well.
This is madness you say, but, we all have a certain degree of madness, therefore it is acceptable.
Aggressive it has to be. If it fails then I will need to reconsider Job creation. Ideas anyone?

5 comments:

The 27th Comrade said...

No, no, no.
Okay, yes.
Do those things. They are good, and they can help you get a job.

But more-important: learn a new (and, preferably, treasured) skill.
These can't be faked by the next person in the line. Many idiots end up in the Rotary Club or whatever. But if you learn say ... a new vocation, or a new language, or a completely different practical field, you are better placed to get a job. It is an investment. And when you get a job, chance are you'll be calling (more of) the shots.

Aseu said...

Talk about learning a new language...I even have all the french books but getting the omph to start...is the problem. Otherwise thanks anyways. ;-)

GERALD said...

Good hear that you know getting a job is all about trying..The world has changed..But you have not included prayers.If you have been praying once a day, now pray twice.
You should also know that any career path you choose that helps you build valuable skills is "right" whether it is also right for life or just for three to five years

You should also know that these skills are essential i.e customer service skills, basic computer skills, teamwork, the ability to sell or even to persuade others and communication skills are used in nearly every job.
The problems with many graduates is that they run for juicy jobs and yet those who are suited for them are also floating.
I can't tell you all but i advice you to visit.www.careerone.com.au

Just visit that site,You will find that your papers have something wrong. I guess

Aseu said...

Gerald, Thanks for that website tip..you wont believe the excitement I have! Can't wait to dive into it.As for the prayers, I have definitely increased to praying twice a day including fasting and reading the bible from time to time.

GERALD said...

hope u get some important stuff there..If any let me know